Freightliner Trucks has partnered with Hendrickson to offer a Hendrickson OPTIMAAX 6×2 liftable forward tandem axle exclusive to the new Freightliner Cascadia. The new OPTIMAAX design will help carriers with diminishing loads, like bulk haulers and delivery vehicles that may have empty back hauls after carrying items such as groceries, livestock, beverages and fuel, Freightliner explained.
Automated controls sense the load capacity and either lift or lower the axle without relying on the driver. This maximizes efficiency with a raised axle, enhancing traction and helping fleets that focus on weight reduction and want to optimize fuel efficiency. The OPTIMAAX 6×2 axle design is compatible with drum and air disc brakes, and the axle is fully welded, not bolted, offering additional strength and durability.
Freightliner detailed additional benefits:
• A boost in fuel efficiency.
• Weight reduction by 300 to 400 lbs. over a comparable 6×4, allowing trucks to either carry additional weight or save fuel.
• Gain in traction when backing under trailers in soft soil or low traction conditions.
• Improved maneuverability when the lift axle is raised.
• Money savings on tolls where lift axles are not charged if lifted.