Chevrolet will offer low cab forward medium-duty trucks in the U.S. in 2016, returning the brand to a growing segment of the commercial vehicle market.
The six new models – Chevrolet 3500, 3500HD, 4500, 4500HD, 5500 and 5500 HD – are based on the Isuzu N-Series, which General Motors will procure from Isuzu and distribute through Chevrolet dealers.
“Bringing low cab forward trucks back to our portfolio strengthens Chevrolet’s commitment to providing commercial customers with more choices and provides customers with a versatile lineup of trucks, vans and crossovers,” said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president of GM fleet and commercial sales. “This addition helps our dealers satisfy their commercial customers’ needs all in one place.
The new trucks will be offered in regular-cab and crew-cab body styles. A GM-sourced 6.0L V-8 gas engine and six-speed automatic transmission, or Isuzu-sourced 3.0L and 5.2L turbo-diesel engine will be available, depending on the model.
Along with the Isuzu-badged versions, the Chevrolet models will be the only low cab forward trucks in the North American market to offer a gas-powered powertrain. According to Chevrolet, additional features include:
• Excellent visibility and maneuverability, especially in urban environments.
• Easy driver entry and exit.
• Chassis lengths ranging from 109 in. to 212 in.
• Compatibility with a variety of body types, including refrigerated box, stake/flat bed and service bodies.
• Easy-access engine compartment with 45-degree-tilting cab.