The 2H 2019 Fleet Sentiment survey conducted in August and September by CK Commercial Vehicle Research (CKCVR) indicates that most fleets have modest equipment purchase plans for 2020. Additionally, multiple factors have been identified that could, or definitely would, change the current plans for purchasing trucks and trailers for next year’s delivery.
Key results from the 2H 2019 FSR survey include:
- Equipment purchase plans for 2020 are solid but not exuberant. More interest in purchasing new power units than trailers.
- Although participants indicated they are fully committed to the equipment purchase plans they have in place today – there are many factors identified in the report that could change those plans – both for better or worse.
- The members of CKCVR’s fleet panel have largely reduced the age of their equipment over the past few years.
- Over the last 2-3 years, replacement equipment plans have moved away from the “historical norms” for many reporting to take advantage of new equipment offering increased productivity and MPG, less maintenance and better driver satisfaction.
- FSR’s How’s Business measure remains in “very good” range and demand vs. capacity is at a breakeven point for most.
- Fleets continue to pursue tracking, monitoring, and collision avoidance technology for their vehicles.