Prestolite Electric has been awarded standard position by Blue Bird o supply IdlePro Extreme alternators from Leece-Neville Heavy Duty Systems. Blue Bird All American rear engine (RE) diesel and CNG-powered school buses will be offered with IdlePro Extreme 350- and 420-amp alternators as standard and optional equipment for models utilizing a Cummins 2021 engine.
The Cummins 2021 engine designs found on Blue Bird All American RE diesel and CNG-powered buses require a specific approach to its corresponding charging systems, Prestolite Electric noted in a press release. This particular bus model and engine combination utilizes electric fans cooling the radiator that are powered by the IdlePro Extreme alternators.
For applications utilizing a Cummins L9 or B6.7 300-horsepower engine using a six-fan cooling system and the lower horsepower engines of the same design with A/C will be offered with the IdlePro Extreme 350-amp alternator as standard. For the bus models running a 2021 Cummins L9N engine, the IdlePro Extreme 420-amp alternator will be standard equipment.
Features of the IdlePro Extreme 12V alternators, as noted by the manufacturer, include:
- 12-volt, 280-, 325-, 350- and 420-amp outputs available in a brushless design.
- Minimum of 90% of a unit’s rated maximum output at engine idle, in certain applications.
- Remote Sense capable—returns battery to full charge between stops and reduces overall charging time.
- Auxiliary Draft Cooling design—fan and front housing design and integration for temperature control of the front bearing. Front bearing is kept 10°C cooler as compared to traditional external fan designs.
- Rated up to 125°C—ideal for the high-temperature environment commonly found in school bus applications.
- E-coated heavy-duty design offers reduced corrosion and improved vibration resistance.
- Isolated Ground Technology reduces stray voltage currents traveling through the engine, helping to reduce component wear and eliminate potentially severe electrolytic damage.
- Assembled in America.
- No core.