The American Trucking Associations’ Technology & Maintenance Council released its first report on the use and adoption of intelligence products and services across the trucking industry with an examination of adoption of the trailer and lease fleet sector. In looking at trailer rental and lease companies, TMC and eSMARTT gauged 12 of the top 15 companies in North America, operating 10% of all trailers, with a written surveyed and a video conference.
The 17-page, in-depth written survey distributed and collected in February and early March 2021 focused on several key areas of smart trailer technology adoption:
• Current technologies offered to customers;
• Brands of smart products selected and offered;
• Experience with those products and their performance reliability;
• Rental customer demand and feedback;
• Field operations issues and challenges; and
• Decision drivers on future smart trailer offerings.
“Trailers are poised to advance in the next 20 years the way tractors have advanced in the last 30 years. Understanding the market needs and the available technologies will help the industry advance so fleets can achieve goals for safety, maintainability and readiness,” said TMC Executive Director Robert Braswell.
TMC is planning on similar surveys examining other segments of the industry including reefers, truckload and specialized carriers, LTL companies, private fleets and full-service truck lessors in the future.