The International LT and RH Series on-highway vehicles are benefiting from advances in aerodynamics, powertrain and software systems that are increasing fuel efficiency in the 2020 product lineup, the company says. Fuel efficiency improvement for the LT Series will be up to 8.2%, when comparing a fully equipped 2020 model to a unit built just one year earlier.
Aerodynamic advances offered for 2020 include:
- Enhanced roof fairing
- Day cab extenders that are 12” longer, closing the tractor-trailer gap
- Sleeper cab extenders are 3” longer, reducing the tractor-trailer gap
- Steering wheel closeouts around the front tires
- Longer chassis skirt Vidon strips, which enhance aerodynamics and are damage resistant
- New cab-to-skirt closeouts to further reduce wind drag
- 1-inch lower bumper valence
- Flow Below 2.0 design, optimized for the International LT Series
Both the International Fuel Efficiency MPG Aerodynamic and Powertrain packages have been updated to reflect these latest innovations maximizing customers’ fuel efficiency.
In addition, improvements in the Cummins X15 engine used in the LT Series’ 2020 models will yield 2.8% better fuel efficiency over earlier versions of the Cummins X15.
An added tool in the pursuit of improved fuel efficiency is Predictive Cruise Control, which is now standard on the 2020 LT Series, the RH Series and the International LoneStar. The system allows drivers to set an average cruise speed, and the customer to define an allowable range above and below that average. The vehicle will then use topographical map data with the onboard GPS to adjust vehicle speed for maximum fuel efficiency and reduced foundation brake wear.
With Predictive Cruise Control, and using the International A26 engine, drivers can anticipate an average of 2% savings in fuel efficiency, based on a 50/50 mix of flat and hilly terrain, International says.
Also, new International LT and International RH Series trucks now in production, equipped with an International A26 engine, include the capability to make remote cellular over-the-air updates to authorized engine calibrations and programmable parameters.