Medium-duty: Autocar delivers first all-electric terminal tractor to Old Dominion Freight Line
EAVX, Morgan Olson and REE Automotive are hosting the first live demonstrations and customer evaluations this week of Proxima Powered by REE, the newly announced fully drive-by-wire walk-in step van. The joint events highlight the benefits of the newly-designed EAVX and Morgan Olson body paired with REE’s fully-flat, modular P7 chassis and x-by-wire technology.
Over the next several weeks, prospective customers will have the opportunity to experience the Proxima body powered by REEcorner technology and the P7 chassis. The joint program aims to reduce total cost of ownership, thereby easing the transition to electric for fleets. It also helps fleets meet ever-increasing demands facing the industry, including increased consumer deliveries and continued driver shortages.
Additional benefits include operational efficiencies and flexibility that can be scaled across further applications and Classes 2-6 for both the body and the chassis, with modularity and design freedom in mind.
Key benefits of the Proxima body on REE’s P7 include improved aerodynamics, enhanced driver ergonomics, increased driver visibility and overall safety, enhanced maneuverability, and integrated technologies. Additional features outlined by the companies included:
- Nearly 60% reduction in drag when combining the Proxima body with the REE platform.
- Drive-, steer-, and brake-by-wire functionality eliminates mechanical obstructions, reducing underfloor turbulence and ensuring a smooth ride.
- A smart digital infrastructure by EAVX enables all connected systems throughout the vehicle to exchange information and aid the driver.
- Low load floor enables fast, easy accessibility for drivers and helps reduce delivery times.
- Ergonomics designed with drivers of all body types, with focus on every interior detail to reduce driver distraction and increase safety and comfort.
- Significant driver visibility improvements coming from both body and chassis, boosting both driver and passerby safety.
- REEcorners minimal turning radius combined with Proxima’s sleek, compact design ensures optimal maneuverability in crowded urban zones and loading docks.
- Fast repair times and reduced total costs of ownership due to rapid REEcorner swaps and 50-50 weight distribution of Proxima body.