Pressure Systems International (P.S.I.), celebrating its 30th anniversary, introduced Digital ThermALERT, a sensor that provides real-time wheel-end temperature visibility through a telematics communication portal during a TMC Annual Meeting press conference.
P.S.I.’s patented standard ThermALERT, which was introduced to the market in 2005, alerts users to elevated wheel-end temperatures that could cause damage, wheel loss or fire and excess roadside calls if not addressed early. It has been standard on the P.S.I ATIS product since 2017.
The real-time reporting from the new Digital ThermALERT aids in identifying the normal wheel-end operating temperature of a user’s equipment and the ability to analyze wheel-end history. It can also help identify equipment or maintenance issues such as a dragging brake or bearing issue that can be scheduled in for service before damage can occur, the company noted. The alert activation level can be customized by the user depending on equipment and personal preference.
“About 70% of all new trailers built in North America are build with ATIS systems. It’s a good indicator that this is a needed maintenance solution for the industry,” said Craig Smith, marketing manager, P.S.I. “Automatic inflation systems can reduce reliance on drivers and give managers real-time data to make those time-sensitive decisions.”
According to the release, Digital ThermALERT is located inside the spindle end at the wheel bearings and minimizes the effects of external thermal influences. The sensor has a replaceable battery with a conductor wire that is fed through the axle end and attached to a modified PSI spindle plug.
Also introduced during the P.S.I. press conference:
- ATIS/MTIS Driver Video: This driver training video explains specific system operation and what to do when the system indicator light illuminates. A new decal with a QR code can be ordered from P.S.I. for retrofit placement on existing assets. New orders will receive an updated system decal with the QR code.
- TireView LIVE mobile app, launching Apr. 1, 2023: Available for Apple/Android devices with all the features and benefits of the TireView LIVE portal:
- Drill down by vehicle type, terminal or region
- Data analytics platform for thorough tire analysis
- Aid pre-trip tire inspections and post-trip analysis
- Sort and share data to make best decisions about PM and in-transit repairs
- Over-the-air (OTA) updates and sensor pairing by capturing sensor QR codes using mobile device camera