Shell Lubricants is introducing the Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 heavy-duty engine oil for natural gas trucks.
Natural gas engines, with their spark combustion, run significantly hotter than diesel engines. Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 has been specially formulated for use in natural gas-powered vehicles in order to manage their high heat and provide the necessary engine protection, the company says.
Dan Arcy, global OEM technical manager for Shell Rotella, said that one of the major benefits of the oil is that it provides extended oil drain intervals in Cummins engines.
“For on-highway,” Arcy elaborated, “depending on the load and application, you’re looking at going from 25,000 mile drain intervals out to 40,000, compared to the previous Cummins specification [CES 20085]. It leads to significant service savings for the customer.”
According to Shell, additional benefits of the new oil include:
- An optimized balance of detergent and dispersancy provides good piston and engine cleanliness and ensures long and efficient operation.
- The formulation contains additives to control the deposit formulation in the combustion chamber to help prolong the life of valves and spark plugs.
- The low ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission vehicles.
- The oil is suitable for natural gas, diesel and gasoline engines, meaning that mixed fleets can benefit from using one oil for multiple engine type, thus minimizing maintenance complexity.
Specifications, approvals and recommendations for Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 include:
- API CK-4
- API SN
- Cummins CES 20092 (replacing CES 20085 which becomes obsolete Dec. 31)
- Cummins CES 20086
- Detroit Diesel DFS 93K222
- Mack EO-S 4.5
- Volvo VDS-4.5
The new oil will be available in mid-December and replaces Rotella T5 NG.