When it comes to fleet sustainability, perhaps you’ve successfully implemented some baseline initiatives for reducing waste and optimizing your procurement processes. The next step is to utilize location-powered solutions to deepen the impact and extend your reach. The current market needs for last-mile delivery include:
- Improved route efficiency and fleet utilization
- Reduced idling by streamlining routing and pickup/drop-offs
- Maintaining compliance and adapting to new technology
At HERE, we see this as an opportunity to achieve greater sustainability, as well. How? Because by solving these top challenges, the result is not only a more efficient and effective fleet, but a more environmentally friendly one.
Logistics is also a major contributor to emissions and fortunately, there are significant opportunities for improvement that are easier to achieve than you might think. Moreover, every step that boosts efficiency by reducing waste and optimizing assets is a win for sustainability and for your bottom line.
All too often, fleet managers think of sustainability primarily as a purchase consideration when investing in new equipment. While electric vehicles (EV) and improved fuel efficiency will certainly transform operations and emissions, there are simpler and more immediate ways to increase sustainability and reduce costs. That answer is location technology.
Location technology and data are crucial to running an efficient supply chain. In the last mile alone, location services can optimize operational efficiency, on-time performance and reduce cost-to-service.
Let’s tackle the market challenges one-by-one. First, to improve route efficiency and fleet utilization, location can help create optimized routes for trucks and light commercial vehicles (LCV). Better routes — based on more accurate maps, with live traffic and timely information on road conditions — mean less time spent on the road and overall improved mileage for the fleet. Route plans that quickly and automatically take your entire fleet into account also maximize its freight capacity. This is a win not only for productivity, but also for reduced fuel usage by mitigating the wasteful practice of trucks operating at half capacity or deadheading.
Second, location can alleviate idling by streamlining your fleet’s routing as well as pickups and drop-offs.
Did you know, the average LCV spends around 30 minutes idling (or being misrouted) per day? For heavy vehicles, the numbers are even worse: 57% of trucks spend between one and four hours idling every day, wasting 2.6 trillion gallons of diesel per year in the United States alone. And with one hour of idling a day adding the equivalent of nearly 65,000 miles of wear to the truck’s engine, this waste also negatively impacts your bottom line in maintenance and equipment costs.
With HERE location technology, highly accurate geocoding identifies precise pickup and dropoff location points, which reduces time spent idling and engine wear. Additionally, greater visibility into delivery locations allows for limited clustering and improved efficiency in route completion. New techniques in route pre planning and along-the-route optimization can save billions of gallons of fuel and dramatically reduce wasted time and energy.
Our third market challenge is maintaining compliance and adapting to new technology. Fortunately, location technology makes it easy to bridge this gap. Gain visibility into fleet and emission usage to identify areas for improvement to reduce and maintain regulatory compliance. If EVs are a part of your fleet now, or you have plans to add them in the future, you can easily customize EV commercial routes without additional services.
How HERE makes your fleet more sustainable
HERE Last Mile is a full-service software as a service (SaaS) application for dispatchers and drivers. It automatically creates optimized tours for an entire fleet of delivery vehicles, and improves the driver experience with voice-guided, traffic-aware navigation and included proof of delivery.
Take control of your operations, from job planning to delivery, with an end-to-end solution that allocates jobs across your entire fleet.
Location technology benefit break down:
- To improve operational efficiency —> Optimize driver routes and more efficiently allocate resources to handle demand
- To reduce unexpected delays —> Forecast accurately based on live and predictive traffic conditions, and adapt if conditions change
- To guide drivers smoothly —> Reduce idling and misrouting with turn-by-turn, voice-guided navigation including live traffic and truck routing
- To stay better informed and in control —> Receive live updates on traffic and job status, with proof of delivery handled within the driver application
HERE Last Mile allows you to:
- Plan for your entire fleet: Create plans that efficiently assign a shift’s worth of jobs to every vehicle in your fleet
- Keep drivers on track: Improve route efficiency and help drivers stay ahead of traffic
- Stay informed and flexible: React and re-plan when conditions change, and stay on top of tour status.
- Make data work for you: Review, analyze and understand fleet performance for better forecasting.
This article was sponsored by HERE Technologies.