US Hybrid, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ideanomics, fuel cell, and hybrid electric vehicles, announced the launch of near-zero-emission natural gas-powered parallel hybrid powertrain technology to be used for drayage and long-haul trucks.
After six years of research, development, and testing, US Hybrid’s new manufacturer agnostic technology will deliver more power, increased range, and a more efficient powertrain than diesel-powered engines or other CNG or renewable natural gas (RNG) alternatives, the company noted during a press conference at ACT Expo. The technological advantages include
- More Power: 640 HP combined power and 1770 lb-ft maximum torque from the natural gas-powered engine. The electric motor enables uphill acceleration with superior performance compared to its diesel engine alternatives.
- Less Fuel: A smaller 8.9 liters Near-Zero NOx engine will operate more efficiently, resulting in double fuel economy than a standard 15-liter engine and reducing fueling costs.
- Better Range: Preliminary testing suggests this fuel-efficient technology can deliver up to 1,000 miles of range per fuel fill, doubling range, power, and torque for similar CNG/RNG trucks.
- Increased Efficiency: The improvement in CNG engine performance paralleled with the electric motor, with appropriate controls, for transient load uptake results in lower NOx emissions and lower fuel consumption
- Near-Zero-Emission: Our technology emits lower than 0.02 g/bhp-hr of nitrogen dioxide and will significantly improve the air quality of neighborhoods near ports and warehouses.
- Zero-Emission Port and Harbor Transportation Operations: Our technology delivers a lower HSE (Health, Safety, and Environmental) impact on port operations and the surrounding communities.
This technology will add near-zero-emission road-side charging assistance to standard long-haul fleet operators, offering versatility and convenience to fleet customers.