Medium-duty: Isuzu, Cummins partner to create a battery electric truck
In an effort to continue to improve fuel efficiency and reduce its products’ greenhouse gas emissions footprint, Volvo Trucks North American has enhanced its fuel economy packages for the Volvo VNL and VNR models and made the D13 turbo compound (D13TC) engine standard in all VNL 740, 760 and 860 Models.
Volvo Trucks’ D13TC engine is equipped with Dynamic Torque, a system that the company says enables the driver to operate the truck in a more fuel-efficient manner by adjusting to the exact load without impacting performance. The engine also offers three individual drive modes, as well as an additional 405 horsepower rating and the next evolution of the Volvo Trucks’ patented wave piston design, the OEM reported. These updates enable further-increased fuel efficiency over a wider range of loads, applications, vehicle speeds and engine RPMs.
“Making the engine standard was the next logical step, in addition to offering customizable fuel economy packages that further maximize profitability and reduce the truck’s impact on the environment,” said Allison Athey, product marketing manager at Volvo Trucks North America.
The enhanced fuel economy packages provide up to 16% improvement in fuel efficiency savings for the VNL and up to 6% fuel efficiency savings for the VNR over the baseline models based on the package specified, the company says. Volvo trucks noted that the baseline model is equipped with the most commonly sold specifications and is the reference for our fuel efficiency numbers. These fuel efficiency packages provide an integrated solution, combining aerodynamics and powertrain technologies for enhanced performance, increased drive efficiency and additional savings, the OEM noted.
“Volvo Trucks North America takes a holistic approach to fuel efficiency optimization,” Athey added. “While offering these fuel economy packages and making the D13TC engine standard, we are working with our dealers, customers and drivers to build awareness and provide education on the key areas that have an impact on fuel efficiency throughout the truck’s life cycle.”
The latest connectivity solutions are also a key contributor to secure best-in-class fuel efficiency throughout the truck’s life span. All Volvo VNL and VNR models come standard with over-the-air Remote Diagnostics software and Remote Programming upgrades, further providing optimizations. Through 24/7 monitoring of the D13TC engine, as well as transmission and aftertreatment systems, fuel efficiency updates and parameter changes can be done in a matter of minutes without requiring the truck to visit a dealership, significantly increasing uptime.
The following fuel efficiency packages are available for the Volvo VNL:
- Plus (up to 4%): Includes D13 VGT engine package, I-See predictive cruise control, front bumper with full airflow deflector, chassis fairings, cab side fairings with extender and low rolling resistance tires.
- Advanced TC (up to 12%): Includes Plus features as well as the D13TC engine, mirror arm wind deflectors, extended chassis fairings with ground effects and trim tab.
- Xceed (up to 16%): Only available for Volvo VNL 760 and 860 models, this package includes Advanced TC features, as well as full FlowBelow Aerokit plus an optimized wheelbase and trailer gap to decrease drag.
The following fuel efficiency packages are available for the Volvo VNR:
- Plus (up to 4%): Includes D13 VGT engine package with I-See predictive cruise control, chassis fairings and cab side fairings with extender.
- Advanced (up to 6%): Includes Plus features, as well as the D13 VGT XE engine package, mirror arm wind deflectors, ground effects and trim tab.