Xtra Lease announced that it is installing SAF-Holland’s P89 air disc brakes on more than 6,000 of its over-the-road dry vans and reefers purchased in 2018.
According to Xtra Lease, the reasons for choosing the P89 air disc brakes for its trailers include the following:
- The ability to provide a lower maintenance trailer to fleets needing rental or leased trailers;
- Shorter stopping distances than drum brakes;
- Significantly longer brake pad life;
- Lower risk for out-of-adjustment violations when compared to drum brakes; and
- 50-lb. savings per tandem compared to drum brake systems.
“A reliable, low-maintenance trailer is something every fleet prizes,” said Bill Franz, president and chief executive officer of Xtra Lease. “With air disc brakes on our trailers, reliability just got better. Fleets will see a new level of performance, as air disc brakes will produce significantly longer intervals between brake jobs. We’re also pleased that air disc brakes result in enhanced braking performance, which will satisfy drivers and their companies.”
“SAF-Holland is proud to have been selected by Xtra Lease to provide industry-leading SAF air disc brake technology,” said Steffen Schewerda, SAF-Holland’s president in the Americas. “With air disc brake demand growing among fleets looking to improve brake system reliability, our SAF P89 air disc brakes deliver enhanced braking performance along with reduced maintenance and lower cost of ownership.”
Xtra Lease expects to start receiving dry vans equipped with air disc brakes starting in June.