Phillips 66 and Kendall have announced a new line of FA-4 and CK-4 diesel engine oils. Shawn Ewing, coordinator product technical services—commercial at Phillips 66, added, “Phillips 66 is committed to developing oils that support OEMs’ advanced technology and modern engine design, reduce emissions and offer performance benefits to fleets. We’ve spent the past four years testing and formulating these four new products to ensure they meet and exceed specifications from the major OEMs.”
The FA-4 5W-30 Phillips 66 Triton FE and Kendall SHP FE diesel engine oils features, according to the company, include:
- Are formulated with the highest quality synthetic base stocks and a proprietary low-SAPS additive system to provide outstanding engine protection in on-highway diesel engines specifying FA-4;
- Are OEM certified for Cummins CES 20087 and Detroit Diesel DFS 93K223;
- Contain an enhanced additive system that provides increased engine protection of critical engine parts, despite lower HTHS requirements of FA-4.
According to the company’s testing, Class 8 fleet test vehicles using FA-4 5W-30 Phillips 66 Triton FE and Kendall SHP FE saw a 2% fuel economy improvement, and Ford Transit Class 6 test vehicles showed a 3% fuel economy improvement when using FA-4 5W-30.
Phillips 66 Triton Euro and Kendall SHP Euro Diesel Engine Oils
- Meet API CK-4 performance requirements for use in modern low-emission engines designed to meet 2007 and later EPA on-highway exhaust emissions standards, and is backward serviceable for use in older diesel engines;
- Meet ACEA E6, MB 228.51, CES 20086, DFS 93K222, and other OEM specifications;
- Are specially formulated for compatibility with exhaust after-treatment systems using diesel particulate filters (DPF), diesel oxidation catalysts (DOC) and/or selective catalytic reduction (SCR);
- Are a full-synthetic formulation and SAE 5W-30 viscosity providing excellent low-temperature properties for better performance in harsh winter climates.
According to the company’s testing, fleets using 5W-30 CK-4 Phillips 66 Triton Euro or Kendall SHP Euro 5W-30 could see up to a 1.5% fuel economy benefit.