Bendix earns DOE recognition for sustainable manufacturing in Indiana

Bendix earns DOE recognition for sustainable manufacturing in Indiana

Bendix Huntington has received a 2023 Better Project award from the department’s Better Plants program.

A more environmentally friendly manufacturing process combined with an advanced wastewater recovery system in and around the Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems manufacturing operation in Huntington, Indiana has earned recognition from the U.S. Department of Energy.

Bendix Huntington has received a 2023 Better Project award from the department’s Better Plants program for its efforts in reducing the environmental impact of its engine vibration damper production. This award acknowledges partners for implementing industrial energy, water, and waste projects at individual facilities. According to the company’s recent press release, the DOE formally recognized Bendix and other Better Project honorees at this year’s Better Buildings, Better Plants Summit.

According to Bendix, this year marks the third consecutive year that the Better Plants program has recognized Bendix. The company earned a Better Project award in 2022 for its 1.168-megawatt solar installation, and again in 2021 when the company earned a Better Practice award for its “Zero Waste to Landfill” self-certification process.

Cleanliness of the raw materials and parts used in these dampers is a main factor in their quality and performance, so it’s a crucial production step. After switching from chemical cleaners to a more sustainable water-based cleaning solution, however, Bendix found itself facing much higher water usage to meet the cleanliness quality standards. Bendix’s solution, according to the company, was to use a high-vacuum evaporator that boils the wastewater from the cleaning process at a lower temperature, then cleans and condenses the steam to create a high-quality distillate that can be reused in the washing system. The company notes that this process allows for the recovery of 90% of the water that comes into the evaporator, with the remaining 10% becoming a nonhazardous concentrate liquid waste.

You May Also Like

Hexagon Agility, Brudeli announce CNG/RNG system integration with PowerHybrid technology

The setup enables the powertrain to switch between hybrid modes, providing flexibility for fleets to operate with different energy options.

Hexagon Agility and Brudeli Green Mobility announced a collaboration integrating Hexagon Agility’s CNG/RNG systems with Brudeli's plug-in PowerHybrid technology.

Brudeli says its PowerHybrid allows long-haul trucks to operate up to 80% electric energy, utilizing a dual electric motor system. The setup enables the powertrain to effortlessly switch between serial and parallel hybrid modes, allowing the truck to operate in the most efficient mode as vehicle speed, load, driving patterns, and battery charge level vary.

Ford to provide charging infrastructure for city of Dallas

As part of the agreement, Dallas will install Ford Pro chargers at city worksites and use Ford Pro smart charging software.

Accelera showcases new technology at ACT Expo

“We now have over 1.5 billion miles in the field on our e-mobility products,” Amy Davis, president of Accelera, said.

ACT Expo 2024 kicks off

Day one keynote speeches came from executives at Volvo, Tesla, and more.

Noregon TripVision now covers medium-duty vehicles

According to Noregon, the update brings TripVision’s remote diagnostics to medium-duty brands including Ford, GM, Sprinter, Isuzu and Hino.

Other Posts

Volvo announces plans for hydrogen ICE trucks on-road testing

Customer tests for Volvo hydrogen combustion engine trucks will start in 2026, with orders starting by the end of the decade.

Volvo-Hydrogen-ICE-rendering
What it takes to service battery electric trucks

Investing in battery-electric trucks and infrastructure are just the beginning of electrifying your fleet, Volvo has experience taking shops through the rest of the EV journey.

Volvo-Young-Trucks-Spomnsored-Trucking-Sustinably-certified-EV-dealer
Navistar releases decarbonization update in 2023 sustainability report

Navistar said the report also looks at its commitment to sustainability through environmental initiatives, human rights due diligence and more.

Navistar-2023-sustainability-report
Embracing truck service changes that come with EVs

Young Trucks adapts to EVs with Volvo’s certification program, investing in equipment, training, and safety for heavy-duty electric truck service.

Trucking-Sustainably-Young-Trucks-ev-dealer-1400