Service: XTRA Lease Indianapolis relocates to new facility near I-74￼
Western Star introduced the latest addition to its X-Series–the all-new Western Star 57X. During a pre-release press event, the Western Star team noted that the 57X is the most fuel-efficient truck Western Star has ever built–5.8% more fuel-efficient than its predecessor, the 5700XE. Detroit power options, Detroit technology and tough-as-nails Western Star styling were also top talking points at the event.
Here’s the rundown on the Western Star 57X.
Power to the hard-working people
The 57X gives owners a choice of Detroit engine models–the DD13 Gen 5, DD15 Gen 5 and DD16. The 57X is available with Detroit Powertrain components including Detroit DT12 direct or overdrive automated-manual transmissions (AMT). Intelligent Powertrain Management anticipates terrain and adjusts to road conditions to further maximize efficiencies. Detroit front steer and high-speed ratio rear tandem axles are available. The powertrain efficiency is complemented by new aerodynamic improvements to the cab and chassis. These new features include:
• New aerodynamic hood and bumper with air ducts.
• Roof and chassis fairings for the Day Cab, 60- and 72-in. Mid Roof.
• Chassis side fairings with flexible skirts specifically designed to fill the gaps between cab and chassis.
• Aerodynamic roof fairing or adjustable aerodynamic deflector for day cab.
• 24-in. sleeper side extenders (12-in. for day cabs).
• Optimized drive wheel fairings smooth the airflow as it passes the trailer.
• FlowBelow mold-in color drive wheel covers.
Technology gets tough
The new 57X is equipped with safety and connectivity features designed to protect the driver, pedestrians and other motorists, while providing the operator with real-time information about the vehicle which helps minimizing insurance costs and downtime fixing accident related repairs.
It comes standard with Detroit Assurance 5.0 safety system with Active Brake Assist 5, an always-on system that fuses camera and radar technology to detect moving obstacles in front of the truck and can deploy full braking.
Let’s take the ADAS system features one step at a time:
• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC to 0 mph), which keeps the truck at a safe distance and provides a more confident driving experience.
• Active Lane Assist (ALA) includes Lane Keep Assist, Auto Stop, Lane Departure Protection and Steer Assist. Steer Assist can help reduce fatigue on the road and makes maneuvering in yards far easier.
• Active Side Guard Assist (ASGA) makes its debut in the 57X and is designed to mitigate blind side issues during right-hand turns.
All new for Western Star trucks, a 12-in. and 10-in. digital dash displays feature a configurable instrument cluster. The screens display entertainment options such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (which can be accessed with a smartphone), as well as vehicle information from Detroit Assurance. Integrated steering wheel controls let drivers control most functions without taking their hands off the wheel.
Standard Detroit Connect offers a comprehensive suite of connectivity systems that provide real-time, actionable insights into vehicle performance.
Tough truck cab comforts
Four cab options are available–a Day Cab, 60-in. Mid-Roof, 72-in. Mid-Roof or 72-in. Stratosphere. All options tout leather seating and, on sleeper models, an optional enhanced driver’s lounge with table and Murphy bed. A HVAC system, improved insulation, and a larger windshield contribute to a more comfortable driver experience.
An all-LED exterior lighting package gives the 57X a distinctive look on the road while also providing greater road illumination for safer driving and dual-stage Intelligent LED headlights with sensors to melt ice or clear condensation. The Interior sports LED lighting.
The on-highway truck joins the new Western Star 47X and 49X to complete a lineup purpose-built for toughness, productivity and efficiency.