According to the experts at Luber-finer, properly maintained cooling systems are a must in severe driving conditions. They say reports from the field show that improper coolant flow is the cause of nearly 50% of all early engine failures.
Because of this, reliable coolant products are an absolute necessity in order to prevent rust, dirt, scale and other contaminants from creating engine-damaging “hot spots” in a vehicle’s cooling system.
The need for reliable coolant performance becomes even more important during hot summer-weather driving conditions, as well as in severe-duty conditions, such as prolonged idling times, heavy-duty towing and congested traffic.
To help ensure that your vehicle’s coolant filter is capable of performing reliably, no matter the conditions or application, Luber-finer offers these maintenance tips:
• Know your coolant type. Find out if it is a conventional coolant, which may require a supplemental coolant additive (SCA), or a long-life coolant, which needs a non-SCA filter.
• Perform a visual inspection of the coolant and system. Ensure the coolant is the proper color and free of debris, rust and lubricating oil. Drain, flush and refill the coolant if any contamination is noted. Make sure the radiator air intake is free of debris and allows air to flow freely. Examine all hoses and clamps for leakage and proper tension. Check that the radiator cap is secure and free from damage.
• Perform coolant testing. With conventional coolant, it is vital to check for proper SCA level, pH and freeze-point protection every 20,000 miles or sooner.
• Treat coolant with the proper SCA product. The right SCA will prevent engine-harming corrosion, cavitation erosion, scale formation and acidity damage.
• Develop a cooling system maintenance program. The development of a viable scheduled maintenance program and the use of quality coolant products, like those offered by Luber-finer, are vital to protecting a vehicle’s engine.
For more technical tips from Luber-finer, visit www.luberfiner.com.