Fleet Advantage has announced the establishment of a new safety committee dedicated to providing insight and overseeing critical safety-related programs for the fleet transportation industry and Fleet Advantage clients. The Fleet Advantage Safety Committee includes tenured transportation professionals with specific experience to advise fleet managers on various safety-related topics. The committee was launched in coordination with the National Safety Council’s National Safety Month, which is observed in June and focuses on reducing injury and death at both distribution and maintenance facilities and on the highways. Members of the Fleet Advantage Safety Committee include:
- Mike Spence, CTP, Sr. VP of Fleet Services—oversees the entire committee
- Terry Clouser, CTP, VP of Fleet Services—will focus on safety of vehicles currently in service
- Sandy Rosenfeld, CTP, Safety and Operations Manager—will focus on CSA compliance, facility and on-road safety
- Stephen Katona, CTP, Director of Purchasing—will focus on new truck safety specifications and education
- Luis Herrera, CTP, Asset Disposition Sales—will focus on safety inspections of used trucks to the secondary market
According to the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA) the average cost per Class 8 crash was $11,861,000 for fatality, $595,000 for injury, and $86,000 for property damage. (per truck/incident costs). Citing industry statistics that older vehicles typically have a higher fatality crash rating and fewer of the modern safety features, and require more maintenance and repair, this approach to safety aligns with the Fleet Advantage philosophy of “newer is better,” in which newer model trucks that are equipped with the latest safety technologies will positively impact the bottom line with proactive prevention and resulting in fewer accidents and on-highway break-downs.
Fleet Advantage’s Safety Committee will also provide education to the general public through an ongoing series of blog articles, white papers, videos and more. For more information, visit Fleet Advantage’s dedicated resource portal on safety, the Fleet SafetyEDGE.